We are now accepting applications for this position.
The Queen Anne’s County Office of the Sheriff Cadet Program is a law enforcement apprenticeship program that offers training and varied work assignments to persons between the ages of 18 and 20 ½. The Cadet Program provides qualified men and women with a chance to experience the challenges and personal rewards of a police career and serves as a stepping stone to be certified through this agency’s police academy. Office of the Sheriff Cadets’ annual salary is $33,061 and they are considered full-time positions. Time-contractual positions are available to accommodate cadets who wish to attend college and further their education. (Salary listed is effective January 19, 2022)
Cadets are encouraged to further their education by enrolling in and passing college courses with the goal of eventually earning a degree.
Cadets will be tasked with a variety of duties to provide exposure to many aspects of law enforcement.
Cadets must successfully complete all deputy entry-level testing procedures during their employment and will submit to an extensive background investigation prior to their employment as a cadet and prior to their acceptance into the police academy.
Cadets will receive training and may work in varying assignments including:
- Processing arrested individuals including computer data entry
- Locate and verify warrants and summonses
- Respond to public inquiries
- Assist Duty Officer as needed
- Operation of agency vehicles
- Other duties as assigned by superiors
Upon completion of a cadet program, with additional testing, the program is designed to elevate cadets into the role of Deputy Recruit.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- United States Citizen with preference offered to residents of Queen Anne’s County (for more information regarding qualifications for US citizenship, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship)
- Age - Cadet applicants may complete the application process at the age of 17, but cannot be hired or begin working until he or she reaches the age of 18. Cadet applicants must be hired before reaching 20 years of age and be prepared to progress into the police academy between the ages of 20 ½ and 21 ½ . Cadet employment will cease for those who do not progress to the police academy.
- Residency - Applicants do not need to be a Maryland resident to begin the process. However, they must become a Maryland resident on the date of hire as a cadet.
- Must have a high school diploma or a G.E.D. (Cadet Applicants may begin the application process in the final year of high school).
- Must possess a valid Maryland Driver's License and have a satisfactory driving record. Their current driving record cannot exceed three points
- Must be in excellent physical condition and pass a physical agility test. Will participate in periodic physical agility tests and exercises throughout their employment as a cadet.
- Binocular visual acuity must be 20/20 with or without correction.
- Must have a good reputation and sound moral character.
- Must not have any current court orders against him or her relating to domestic violence nor any criminal misdemeanor or felony convictions.
- Must be truthful in every stage of the application process.
An individual is ineligible for initial hiring as a cadet if the individual has:
(1) Been convicted or otherwise found guilty of selling, manufacturing, or distributing a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
(2) Ever illegally sold, produced, cultivated, distributed, or transported a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
(3) Illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the 36 months before application as a cadet;
(4) Been convicted or otherwise found guilty of underage consumption of alcohol;
(5) Ever illegally used a controlled dangerous substance including:
(b) Phencyclodine (PCP); or
(c) Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
Submit applications to the address on the application. Please click the link below for the application.
The Queen Anne’s County Department of the Sheriff is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, visit http://qac.org/839/Employment-Opportunities.