The Sheriff Gary Hofmann Scholarship Program
The Sheriff Gary Hofmann Scholarship Program offers numerous scholarships funded by donations from individuals, “in memory of,” service clubs, corporations, and foundations, to provide financial assistance to students or employees who are pursuing a career in law enforcement, public safety, or a related field and meet the criteria established by the scholarship donors or program.
- Be graduating seniors of Queen Anne's County High School or Kent Island High School or any of the private educational institutions in Queen Annne's County;
- Be pursuing a degree at an accredited college, university, or trade school OR for students attending Chesapeake College;
- Demonstrate good academic standing; and, demonstrate leadership and involvement in community service;
- Be officially accepted into an accredited program or certificate program;
- Submit a complete scholarship application package; and,
- Be a full-time or part-time student depending upon the scholarship awarded
A student, spouse, or family member who wishes to be considered for a specific scholarship must meet the qualifications and fill out the scholarship application form. An applicant must have a high school diploma or GED or demonstrate the ability to benefit from a particular program of study. Some scholarships require letters of recommendation and/or essays.
Scholarship awards are applied directly to the student’s account. If the scholarship recipient does not attend during the semester for which the scholarship is awarded, the scholarship award will be forfeited.
Student Scholarships may be awarded up to $500.00 per semester, but not less than $100.00 depending on the number of applicants per semester with a maximum of $2000.00 in total awards to applicants per semester. If applicants exceed the allotted funding, they will be encouraged to reapply in the next semester. Applications are stamped with the date received at our Office and no late submissions will be accepted or returned. Anyone who does not receive funding is encouraged to reapply.
Employee/Family/Friends of Scholarships may be awarded up to $500.00, but not less than $100.00 depending on the number of applicants per semester with a maximum of $1000.00 in total awards to applicants per semester. This is open to all current employees and their families.
An employee may sponsor a community member. The employee will include the Sponsor attachment with the applicant's submission. (This form is available from the Office of the Sheriff, Scholarship Chairperson)
Application Acceptance Guideline: All applications will be stamped with the date received at our Office and no late submissions will be accepted or returned. Anyone who does not receive funding will be encouraged to reapply.
Studen Scholarship Applications
* Summer/Fall Semester - Scholarship applications are due by April 30 (applications are only accepted January through April each calendar year).
* Winter/Spring Semester - Scholarship applications are due by November 30 (applications are only accepted September through November each calendar year.
Employee/Family/Friends of Scholarship applications are accepted June through August for the Fall Semester and October through December for the Spring Semester.
You must submit your student ID, actual invoice for tuition, and complete accurate college name where your Scholarship may be sent if awarded. Checks will not be delivered to students but rather mailed to the named college. The student agrees to accept a letter/certificate at our Office or School, allow photograph and/or name used on the website, and promotional information at any time within 365 days of acceptance.
Print and mail or deliver application form to:
Queen Anne’s County Office of the Sheriff
Sheriff Gary Hofmann Scholarship Fund
505 Railroad Avenue
Centreville, MD 21617
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE: Close of business on the last day of the months of April or November, may be mailed or hand-delivered.